My congratulation for your blog: the best fitness blog on the web!
I would like to ask you the difference between weight lifting and body weight training. Apart the obvious (!) can we compare lifting low weights (without the goal to add mass) with the body weight? I know that the latter is usually a good fat burner (with no rest between sets) and aerobic conditioning but does it work as well as weight lifting? I am not interested in packing muscles but I was wondering if the body weight work out is as good as the lifting weights to maintain the mass and tone muscles…
I am sorry if my question is not very clear! I am looking forward to hear from you.
Thank you for reading me.
Hi Jo, thanks!
Well both body weight circuits and weights circuits can be good for fat burning and toning the physique, especially if programmed right. Circuit training in it’s very nature is very suitable for that.
But on the whole, I’d say weights circuits have more advantages, for several reasons:
1) It’s more quantifiable. Meaning you can add weight in exact measures, for example as little as 1.25kg or less (or more!) at a time.
2) Same point, you can actually add weight! The principle of progressive overload can be applied with body weight training to an extent, but not very accurately, and only to a certain point. So it’s kind of self limiting. With weights you can continuously challenge your system, which is important for ongoing progress.
3) Weights training is more versatile: for example it’s difficult to train the lats/upper back with only your body and a piece of floor (unless, of course, you have a chin up bar). With a barbell or even a pair of dumbbells there’s just so many more things you can do, so many different exercises to hit all body parts from all different kinds of angles.
So a pair of adjustable dumbbells or even a barbell is good investment for home training.
Having said all that… body weight circuits can be pretty decent when designed properly. Here is an effective beginner’s circuit.
Good luck and please keep me updated on your progress,
Call To ActionIf you want to live a healthy and lean life and get results 10x faster than most people, download my Free Simple Vegan Recipes from the bottom of my home page (scroll down, fill in your email and we're set).
Click here to get the recipes right now!
Below: this lifter INCREASED his protein-absorption without increasing intake. GAIN LEAN MUSCLE with just one supplement: MUST see this video!(click the image)
REHABILITATE YOUR SHOULDERS TODAY!
(Click the image for more info)
This Package includes:
Module 1: Find instant relief with effective and targeted shoulder stretches
Module 2: Foam Roller Shoulder Protocol: as little as 2-3 times and notice the difference!
Module 3: Effective Self Treatment: be Your Own Therapist
Module 4: The Bones - 2 optimized Shoulder Workouts for Rehab and Prehab
Module 5: Correct Sleep Positions so you don't keep aggravating the problem
Bonus: Grip Strength Training from Hell!
NOTE: Thanks for Liking and Sharing! (top or bottom of post)
PS you can check me out on Twitter and you can get my newsletter here.
Latest posts by Mark Kislich (see all)
- HCLF aka High Carb Low Fat Diet - December 27, 2017
- Why You Should Avoid Carnitine Supplements like the Blazes! - July 27, 2017
- The ‘Downside’ to Being Vegan - March 24, 2017